Rock & Mulch
Home › Landscape Services Minneapolis / Rock & Mulch
Adding rock and/or mulch adds color and contrast to a landscape, emphasizing tones and features that wouldn’t otherwise be noticed. Our years of experience have enabled us to develop the following guidelines:
For a maintenance-free installation, rely on rock.
- When installing, we almost always put fabric (not plastic*) under the rock. This prevents weeds from coming through, while allowing water to seep through for plants.
- *Note: The only time we recommend using plastic is when you have a history of water going into your basement, and you want to direct all water away from your house.
If a little maintenance is no problem, go with mulch.
- The most popular mulch we install is Western Red Cedar. This is a soft wood, lasting three times longer than its hardwood counterpart.
- Fluffing your mulch with a metal rake 2-3 times a year disrupts the decomposition stage, and will extend the life of your mulch.
- We recommend not putting fabric under your mulch. Why not you ask?
- Fabric will act like a slide for mulch; each time it rains mulch will end up in the yard.
- Mulch will eventually break down and become dirt, inviting neighboring weeds and grass to germinate.
- Pulling weeds is much harder through fabric than through dirt alone.
Contact a landscape designer at Warner’s to determine what approach best fits your property.